Saturday, June 13, 2009

This ain't no Bette Midler kind of Beach trip is it?

So, I get a call the other day while I am at work. It's my Jody asking if I want to take a quick jaunt down to Port Aransas for a night just to hang out with each other and chill on the beach. Well, you know that I always am up for a chill out on the beach. Throw in a gorgeous guy, a couple of beers, and some relaxation time, and I am all in.

So, we set off for our trip early yesterday morning. We got to Portland (Texas, not Oregon) at around 2ish. We stayed there because for some reason there were no rooms anywhere! Not on Mustang Island, Port A, no where. Well, there were a couple for about $220 a night. Nope. So, we stay in Portland. We got our hotel room, chilled for a bit, then set out for the beach! Hurray! Now since, we where staying in Portland, we weren't directly on a beach or near a beach. We just had to get to Aransas Pass and the ferry to get over to Port A and Mustang Island (or backtrack to Corpus) to get to the beach. What we didn't realize was that it was Shimporee fest in Port A and Mustang Island. And the ferry wait (just wait) was at least an hour. Well, at that point we decide we need a new plan (and realize why there are no rooms or cheap rooms available! Duh!). Actually, we decided that, turned around, decided to say fuck it and wait it out, then we realized we would need to wait that long or longer to come back across. So, we turned around again!

Well, we traveled here and there, and all around. We then decided we didn't want to drive all the way back over the gnarliest bridge ever(gnarly in a surfer dude kind of a way. It ruled!) to get to the public beaches of Corpus. So, we find a map of Portland, and we decide to hunt down a place to get some sun! We decided to check out this weird park area called Indian Point Park. You drive down a weird road and come up on it. There are two decks. One goes one way out into the Gulf and the other goes the other way out into the Gulf. On one pier were a bunch of fishermen and family people doing fishermen and family people type things. On the other was no one! Sweet! So, we walk out there (and it is a good ways) on these raggedy boards to this deck that is in the middle of the water. It has benches and these odd short walls on a couple of sides. The benches are big and sturdy and just the right size for laying out on. Oh, it was awesome! We layed out the blanket we had and the towels and layed there in the sun. There were birds and wind and waves and sun! It was exactly what we needed without getting dirty Gulf water gross. Also, the weird walls and being alone led to some awesome outdoor alone couple time...

Anyway, it was fab. We layed there a long while, chatted, hung out, did our thing. It was so much fun! And awesomely enough this was carved into the deck itself...L x J = <3 (or heart)! How cool is that! I took a picture which will come later (because our camera is living its life in Germany now, so I got a disposable one that you have to actually take to get developed! Oh, the horror! No, seriously, the horror. I hope I don't look like shit in all the pictures!)

After that, we decide that it would be fun to go hang out at the hotel pool. Jody and I have spent a bit of times in hotels since our inception. We tend to like weekend or day getaways. And, for some reason, we always migrate to the pool. And that's what we did this time. We hung out in the hot tub (or haTub, for the SNL fans), then went and jumped into the pool! I love doing that. Super hot to super cold is so much fun! We hung out there for quite some time. Jody is a fun pool partner. He'll do handstands and flips with you. I bet he would even play Mermaid if I asked. I haven't yet, but maybe he would! He's a good sport like that.

After that it was back to the room to have a shower and out to dinner. We went back to Corpus for dinner. We stopped at a souvenir shoppe (I just love to write shoppe instead of shop) because I feel it necessary to buy something tacky on every trip we go on. This time I got a coconut girl to go with the coconut man we bought in Port A last summer. This will sit out on our porch and just turn into another one of Schneider's pee points (where one stops to pee), but coconut man really needed a date after a year of getting tinkled on.

We ate at Pier 99. It was pretty damn good. They make a decent margarita! You know I like me a margarita! What's funny is I got a cup of clam chowder, and Jody got a bowl of gumbo (he is searching to find one that tastes like home or Lafayette, LA. He's not having much luck of it.) So, I am sitting drinking a margarita and eating clam chowder! What a combo! It was fucking good, though.

Then we ordered boiled shrimp and a big, ole plate of crab legs. OH MY GOD, BECKY! Those damn crab legs were so good! I have never had crab before. And, holy cow. Alaskan king crab is so fucking good. I nearly feel over! I have decided that sucking on a margarita and sucking on a big, ole crab leg is the most awesome thing to suck on ever! Wait! Halt! Not true! There is one thing I like sucking on more than those things. So, they are the second and third best thing to suck on ever! Crab legs are good. Like really, really good. It took some time getting the hang of it. And mostly, I made Jody get it all taken apart and cracked up for me. And sure, I slung some crab at the kid sitting behind me. But, Jesus on a pool table, that shit was tasty! I recommend it. Now, to try lobster!

After that it was ice cream cones and Bomb Pops(fudge and banana!) all melting over ourselves and a trip back to the room for some "couple time." I love "couple time." We slept great on this huge king sized bed that was raised so high off the ground that my feet didn't touch when they hung off. And I'm pretty much 6 feet tall. So, that's a tall mother f...shut yo mouth!

All in all it was a damn fine super fast trip to the coast. Too bad I had to be at work today (where I got to come in almost 3 hours early because it seems I am the only person who works here who doesn't call in once a week! Yay, work ethic!) So, It is almost 11, and I have been here for almost 7 hours! And I get off at 7am (if I am lucky). So, only 8 more hours to go! Hurray!

But, I had a great time with my mister. I will miss him when he goes away again on Wednesday. But, this is the last leg of the tour for a bit. Hopefully until fall. I sure do miss him when he is gone. I am glad, however, that he has a job that he loves, doing something he loves, with people he loves! But, I do miss him. Glad I got him for now.

So, pictures will follow once I finish off this camera (how odd to say that these days), and I get them developed (which knowing me will be 928984777 years).

That's all for me for now!

3 comments:

d.g. said...

That sounds AWESOME! I'm thinking Chris and I should do the same thing one weekend ... we never go anywhere, and a quick beach trip weekend, just the two of us, would be quite grand.

Laura Funkyjunk Suarez said...

Oh you should! It's totally worth the tank of gas and pricey of the seediest hotel you can find. Hell, a camp out on the beach rules, too. And that's free. We are big fans of "fun for poor people!" We don't get real vacations. Just days. But, that works for me!

Amanda said...

I love this post! I can't wait to see y'all on the 2nd!