Saturday, June 6, 2009

I've decided to be famous

In following along with most reality shows, ABC has a new show coming out called "The Superstars." It is where a sports superstar is paired up with an entertainment superstar to compete in sports challenges. With the exception of Terrell Owens, can someone please tell me which of these people is a superstar?

Cast

Estella Warren ... Herself - Contestant

Dan Cortese ... Himself - Contestant

Ali Landry ... Herself - Contestant

David Charvet ... Himself - Contestant

Joanna Krupa ... Herself - Contestant
Paige Hemmis ... Herself - Contestant
Maksim Chmerkovskiy ... Himself - Contestant

Julio Iglesias Jr. ... Himself - Contestant
Terrell Owens ... Himself - Contestant
Lisa Leslie ... Herself - Contestant
Robert Horry ... Himself - Contestant
Jennifer Capriati ... Herself - Contestant
Bode Miller ... Himself - Contestant
Kristi Leskinen ... Herself - Contestant
Jeff Kent ... Himself - Contestant

Yes, the sports stars are at least known and somewhat starlike in their time (again, I will still consider T.O. pretty superstar-y). But, the rest of them? And the "actors" (ha!). Ali Landry? Dan Cortese? Huh? Joanna Krupa, Paige Hemmis, and Maksim Chmerkovskiy are not superstars because I have never even heard of them. And looking at their IMDB pages didn't even help. Isn't that sad? I mean, Mayim Balik and Tracy Gold are more superstar-y than these people! If I, the queen of pop culture and celebrity gossip, haven't heard of you-you aren't a fucking superstar!

I think someone should put me in one of these shows. Just say I am halfway famous. Apparently you don't really have to be. So, it doesn't matter that I am in no way a star... For Christ's sake, they are using people who have been in a reality show as stars. And super ones, none the less. If they consider Julio Inglesias Jr. a superstar (who of all the entertainment people, I would consider him the tops), what do the creators and producers consider Brad Pitt or Johnny Depp or Angelina Jolie? Hell, I would even consider Miley Cyrus or the Jonas Brothers superstars over that list of people.

What the hell has the world come to? I doesn't seem so hard these days to be considered a star. Maybe I will try. All I have to do is either walk around The Ivy restaurant in Hollywood or be on a reality show at least halfway through the first episode. I think I shall try! That sure beats trying to go on to get my PhD. I bet it is way easier, too.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maksim is Dancing with the Stars TV show which is watched by over 20 million people. Star enough for me. Besides have you looked at him. He is gorgeous and has quite a personality.

Laura Funkyjunk Suarez said...

But, see, that's the point. No one on Dancing with the Stars is a star. They may be afterward because we as Americans eat that shit up. But, he is not a household name. To be on Dancing with the Stars, you should be a star prior to being put on the show. Don't you think?

Anonymous said...

Maksim is a professional dancer that has been on DWTS for 4 or 5 years now like the other viewer said, by over 20 million people. He is very popular.

Laura Funkyjunk Suarez said...

Very, that's why I know who he is. He may be a mildly notable TV star, but a superstar? Really? I mean, at least he's on TV now. I give him that over the other "stars." But, would you consider him a superstar? That's a bold name for a show, without a superstar on it. Just some mildly famous people, a couple of has-beens, and a never was or two. I will give you that he is at least working on a TV show (though, not considered a star).

But, really, superstars are the likes of Julia Roberts, J-Lo, Brad Pitt, George Clooney, and the like. Not Ali Landry.

Anonymous said...

People just need to realize that 'A List' celebrites aren't going to do these reality shows. I have no expectation for Tom Cruise to do 'I'm a celebrity, get me out here'. So I just take the term 'superstar' 'star' & 'celebrity' lightly. So should you. My point was, just because one person doesn't know someone, doesn't mean they aren't 'famous' in their own right. The producers of the show, feel that they were 'celebrity' enuff to cast them. We either watch the shows or we do.

Anonymous said...

that should be watch the show or don't...