Monday, January 11, 2010

One Day I will Grow Up!

I don't feel like talking about anything to do with water. So, I will do that later. But, we do have it. The leak is fixed. We got to catch a glimpse of the guy's apartment where it started. He wasn't home when it flooded, came home, saw the mess, and left. Didn't tell anyone. Just left. Then it started again. Anyway, it was wet as a mother fucker in his apartment. Not so much wet as just filled with water. Ha ha. Idiot! Anyway, I am sick of water.

So, lately I have been doing a little comparison watching. As you know, I love The Secret Life of the American Teenager. I think it is awesome. Now, I don't think it is awesome in an actual good kind of a way. There are some very good shows out there.
The Sopranos, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Roseanne(yes, Roseanne), Deadwood. Good TV.

The Secret Life of the American Teenager
is not one of those shows. But, I love it. I do. It is like sno-cone syrup covered crack. It's a total soap opera. Now, I hate the main character. I hate her. She is a super duper spoiled bitch who deserves to have her child taken away. Also, she isn't really pulling off teen mom.

I think the main story line is ridiculous! Ridiculous! If you want to know the main characters story, it is this: a guy is dating a 15 year old who has a baby by another guy. He wants to break up with her because he doesn't like her anymore. But, his father thinks he should stick with her because that is what people in love do. Sure, a 15 year old should stay with another 15 year old who has another guys baby. Especially because he doesn't love or really like her anymore. Good story, huh?

There are all kinds of story lines. Slutty girl who wants Daddy's love, accidentally pregnant mom, Christian who loves doing it and thinks because of that her father died, molested teen boy trying to make good...you know, the norm. Also, these kids don't seem to have a dress code at school. Had my school not had a dress code, I think I would have been way more popular.

Anyway, it's a crap show. For real! But, I love it. I have no idea if it is good for teens because I am an old fucker. But, maybe it is. I love it, but realize that it is true junk.

Now, we had a teenager show when I was a teenager. It was My So-Called Life. I loved it. Loved it! I thought it was truly written for me and about me and whatever else you can think of.

Well, HULU has all of My So-Called Life online. So, I decide to start watching it to see if was actually good or just a The Secret Life of the American Teenager. I mean, it has been a whole long time since I watched My So-Called Life-probably 13 or 14 years. So, I decided to see.

Well, I have to report that My So-Called Life is actually a good show. Very good. Very well-written. I think it covers all the aspects of the life of teenagers in a way that isn't ridiculous drivel. I mean, there was sex and love and relationships done in a way that I truly think understood what it was like to be 15. I also think it fascinating to see that I understand the adults of the show. Yet, I can still see the teenage aspect.

I am almost done with the season. I wonder if they actually did research with teenagers for this show. It's pretty introspective. I don't think it makes fun of teenage angst. I mean, there is a lot to make fun of there. Of course, there is also a lot that shouldn't be. Teens are so dramatic. But, again, it is the first experience at real life which is full of misery, disappointment, random emotions, and what not. I don't want to be all deep, but I re-watching it really makes me appreciate the writing and respect they actually gave to kids. That is something that isn't done very often. I don't think it is always something deserved. But, it is in some ways.

So, there is my thing. The Secret Life of the American Teenager is very hokey, yet super fun to watch. My So-Called Life is pretty true to life and isn't preachy. One makes me roll my eyes, and the other makes me cry. I love doing both things, so I will continue to watch!

Okay, enough of this goofy blog. I have no idea why I am debating the fine art of teenage entertainment, but being as I am a girl (okay, maybe woman) I love this kind of thing. Forgive me. It's my estrogen and eternal want to be 17 years old.

So that's that! I think I shall go wash dishes now. I am so glad I can!

2 comments:

Amanda said...

I loved My So-Called Life! As cliche as it sounds, it really was way before it's time.

Now, you know I love Secret Life...it's a total train wreck. I think the reason it's so addictive is because the acting and story lines are sooo over the top. The acting kind of reminds me of that shoe 15 that was on, I want to say, Nickelodeon when we were in high school. If I remember correctly, you and I were addicted to that show also.

Laura Funkyjunk Suarez said...

I loved 15! Remember that girl Ashley who breathed way to much when she talked. It was so awesome. Why isn't that on DVD? I am off to Netflix to look it up!