Sunday, December 27, 2009

Staunch Characters!

Well, once again Christmas time has come and gone. This year, it was just the Jodster and I on Christmas day. But, it was a great one! I got a lot off good stuff! I think I got Jody a present he really likes. And he got me one that I have wanted for forever! Wanna see what it is? Well, I have a picture, but it isn't on this computer. So, I am going to put a stock photo!



My Grey Gardens book! I am so excited. For those of you who don't know what Grey Gardens is, it is a documentary about Big Edie and Little Edie Beale. They are aunt and cousin to Jackie O (or Kennedy at the time). They are cuckoo birds who live in Grey Gardens, a dilapitdated house in the Hamptons. If you have never seen it, I highly recommend it! It is one of the most amazing pieces of art I have ever seen.








I really can't express enough how much I like this documentary. I love documentaries in general. And the Maysles are excellent documentary makers. But, this subject is just enthralling. I want it to go on and on. I wish I had met Little Edie. I see a bit of me in her. She is such a sympathetic character. Her mother made her a nut job!

There is a movie made of the documentary starring Drew Barrymore and Jessica Lange. Now, I at first I was appalled by this. However, after having watched it, I think it was very good. It was done with the utmost respect for the subjects. And I think it might be the only really good acting Drew Barrymore has done. So, I don't object to it at all. It has a bit more insight than the documentary because it goes into their history a bit.

All in all, it is just fascinating! It truly is. Rent it, watch it, love it! I do!

So, that was Christmas. Well, not really. I got a bunch of good stuff (including my sister's old camera! Thank goodness! Now I can take pictures again that aren't with my stinky camera phone!). I had a really good meal. I got to make out with a fantastic boy who let me listen to way too much Christmas music and watch way too many Christmas movies even though he isn't all that much of a fan.

All in all, a great day! Now, onto the new year! Let's hope it is a great one!

No comments: