Wednesday, October 23, 2013

I'm Having a Love Affair for 21-23 Minutes at a Time

So, when it comes right down to it, I may be an oddball of human society.  I mean, sure I am just generally an oddball of human society.  But, I am talking about a different reason. I am a lover of the Great American sitcom.  I know lots of people like sitcoms, but I LOVE them. It is my preferred genre of television.  And, I can't really tell you how much I love TV.  It's my favorite thing.  I love it. I have it on all the time.  I like the noise, but mainly, I love the shows! I'm pretty sure that makes me a freak.

There have been LOTS of sitcoms over the years.  And, I pretty much like them all.  I have a great love of some.  Roseanne is by far the best ever written.  The Cosby Show is hilarious and lovable and pretty dang good.  The Office (both versions) funny and is easy to relate to.  I Love Lucy is a classic that cracks me up.  The Big Bang Theory is just great because I know some Sheldon Coopers and most of the cast of Roseanne is on it.  All in the Family was groundbreaking, but it was also just dang funny.  Reba is just silly enough to make me love it.  Arrested Development...well, nothing need be said to that.  You should just understand it.

Of course, there are the lesser known sitcoms that no one remembers, but I loved dearly.

 
Stark Raving Mad.  Look it up. It was Monk before Monk was cool.   And Doogie after he wasn't.



It's Your Move.  Hotty Bateman back in the day.  Man, I loved that show. 


I Married Dora.  Fellow weirdo Juliette Lewis in an immigration fraud comedy.  It's actually pretty awesome.



Double Trouble.  Twins who are Peg Bundy's sisters.  And, they dance.  In the 80s.  I loved it.



The Torkelsons.  I just loved this show.  It was cute! They were country when country wasn't cool.  I don't know if it's cool now, either.  But, I still like this show.


Just the Ten of Us.  This may have been my favorite forgotten show.  It was a spin-off of Growing Pains.  It was better than Growing Pains.  I can't believe they canceled it.  I blame Nancy from Nightmare on Elm Street.  I think she scared people.




One thing I am grateful for is Netflix streaming.  They have a lot of sitcoms on there.  I have watched many series in their entirety because of that sweet, sweet technology.  Sadly, I have watched all of Family Ties, Frazier, Everybody Loves Raymond, The Office, Last Man Standing, Accidentally on Purpose, Traffic Light, 10 Items or Less, and Make Room for Daddy just to name a few.  Not all are great.  Some are kinda dumb.  But, for some reason, I can just about watch any sitcom thrown my way.

Now, of course, there are exceptions.  For the life of me I can't stand Cheers, News Radio, According to Jim, Rules of Engagement, and The Simpsons (if you consider it a sitcom).I can't bear them, and I don't know why.  And, that may be odd because I don't hate Frazier, but I sure hate Cheers.  And, in fact, I don't like Kelsey Grammer.  So, go figure.  But, in my opinion, these shows are unwatchable.  And, I will flat out admit that I like Two and a Half Men...both kinds.  

So, there's that.  I am a freak.  I will miss Whitney.  I will pray to the Spaghetti that The Goldbergs last.  I can only hope that The Mindy Project doesn't go the way of Happy Endings.  And, I can hope that one day they will flat out just replay all of Designing Women and Gimme a Break!  I doubt they will, but a sitcom maniac can always hope.  

No comments: